Monday, September 2, 2013

It's time to write, draw, collage, paint...

It's Journal Week

I don't know about you all, but I over the years I have probably acquired 20+ journals with 1 or 2 pages used in them.  I think I get stopped by needing to write something profound.  Over the last couple years I have actually begun to journal in a different way.  I now use drawing journals and draw and add quotes and pictures to my journal.  Sometimes I collage.  Sometimes I write down song lyrics, or stories or websites or blogs I have visited or want to visit.  Moving beyond the need to write something wise has really opened up my ability to look within and understand myself better. 


Why keep a journal

1. It forces you to unplug and recharge, to get into the flow.

2. Gratitude journaling can make you happier & it increases the flow.

3. Writing in a diary or journal can reduce stress.

Top of FormBottom of Fo4. Journaling can help you to "blow up, throw away or let go of" negative thoughts.
 
5. It's empowering and it takes you downstream (into the flow).
 
 
There are all kinds of journals: writing, food, dream, art or create a new category.

Philosopher and psychologist William James said "If you can change your mind, you can change your life” -- and journaling can help you do just that. Writing about the ups and downs of your daily life can help you to get perspective on your experiences and find lessons in them. Keeping a journal is a constant and clear way to remind yourself that YOU -- and nobody else -- are the author of your own life story.
 
I will share some of my journal pages to give you an idea of how I have transformed journaling.  I encourage you all to share how you journal and try a new way to journal over the next 5 days.

2 comments:

  1. I have enjoyed keeping a dream journal for years. I keep it next to my bed to record my dreams while they are still fresh in my mind.
    I also journal when I am most needing guidance for my life. I sit down with my journal and ask my questions, then write the answers I receive/hear in response. If I am really stuck, I ask "what is the best question to ask right now?" This has always been able to shift me out of my fear/anger/shame/guilt/sadness quickly and effectively and is one of my greatest tools.I just have to remember (and be willing) to use it.
    Think I will work on a gratitude journal this week. Thanks for the focus!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aubrey, love the idea of the "best question." Gonna use that one!
    I have journaled for many years. Today, I threw away 6 to release and open up new space.....room to breath or should I say some more space to WRITE!! I do journal my dreams, totems that enter my realm each day and my cards. In the morning, I light my candles, burn an incense and start my day with me. I find the break of a new day allows me to be open to process my dreams, visions and see what my guides have in store for my journey each day. Most recently, I read my old journals. I had the tug on my mind to make more space and remove them. One of my lessons I notice or patterns is my need to 'release' to allow for the flow...more abundance, adventure, lessons and light to come up in my world.
    Gratitude is something I moved away from, so I will too implement that into my process.
    Hope everyone is well.
    Bright, Fierce Blessing my fellow Warrior-Sages!! :)

    ReplyDelete